Top TV Producer in discussions for San Francisco Challenge coverage

by Richard Gladwell/Sail-World.com NZL June 3, 2015 — 

Well connected Associated Press correspondent, Bernie Wilson, reports that veteran sports producer and avid sailor Geoff Mason has confirmed that he’s in discussions to head the television coverage and global distribution of a 12-meter regatta planned for San Francisco Bay in July 2017.

Former America’s Cup executive Tom Ehman announced plans earlier this spring for the San Francisco Yacht Racing Challenge in an updated version of the venerable 12-meter class.

“As I have told Tom, if he can put together boats that will be competitive and sailed by recognizable names who will be competitive, on San Francisco Bay at the right time of year, then I think it has the potential for being a pretty saleable TV package,” Mason said.

Mason is a 26-time Emmy Award winner who sailed on Nefertiti during the 1962 America’s Cup defense trials.

Ehman told Sail-World that he was also in discussions with a number of long-time America’s Cup broadcasters about their involvement in the San Francisco Yacht Racing Challenge which will be sailed in Super 12 Metres in July 2017.

For the full report from Bernie Wilson click here


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s